I was asked to lead our women’s Bible study this morning. So I had to think about what I could share to a group of ladies, some of whom I consider much wiser than myself. What encouragement can I, a young mommy, share with these ladies? In the throws of parenting two kids (ages 6 and 4) and fostering two more for 6 months (ages 2 and 1) and about to adopt another (age…not yet born). Then it hit me, God is my perfect parent!!! I shared some personal stories of how these different aspects of God have played out as I have imperfectly parented my own children but I’ll save those for another blog post.
1. God is my father.
– All who believe in Jesus have become children of God – John 1:9-13
– I have been adopted into God’s family as a true heir – Romans 8:14-17
2. God disciplines me. (This was the first point I thought of. :))
– He doesn’t discipline us out of anger – Psalm 6:1-3
– He disciplines us to train us – Psalm 119:65-72
– God disciplines us because he loves us – Proverbs 3:11-12
– God forgives us when we sin – Psalm 103:8-14
3. God protects me. God comforts me in my suffering.
– God is a strong tower – Proverbs 18:10
– God comforts us to make us comforters – 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
– God carries us close to his heart – Isaiah 40:11 (someone else brought this one up)
4. God delights in me.
– God rejoices and sings over us – Zephaniah 3:17
– God takes pleasure in us – Psalm 149:4
– He rescues us because he delights in us – 2 Samuel 22:17-20 (David wrote this after being rescued from his enemies and Saul)
5. God never sleeps. (This comes to me as we anticipate having a newborn again)
– Psalm 121
And a wonderful passage of God walking beside us through hard times, protecting us, ransoming us, and calling us to him…Isaiah 43:1-7