Life is unscheduled and unpredictable with a newborn. This is hard for both Kirk and my personalities. One area of our little scheduled life that Samuel has thrown into some confusion is our morning routine. We like to eat oatmeal for breakfast but it takes time to make and thus Kirk is late for work. But something that my mom got us back into is granola. Quick, easy, delicious (especially if we have fresh strawberries to throw on top. So here’s a recipe that I grew up on from the More With Less Cookbook. I have a batch baking right now and time to blog the recipe thanks to a WONDERFUL husband who has taken Joanna to the store. It’s been a long, hard day and I’m tired of my job as Mommy.
Preheat oven to 325.
Mix together in large bowl:
– 1/2 – 1 C. coconut (I only use 1/2 C.)
– 4 C. rolled oats (I just use oatmeal)
– 1 C. sunflower seed
– 1 C. wheat germ (sold in the cereal part of the store, not the flour part)
– 1/4 – 1/2 c. sesame seed (I use 1/4 C.)
– 1 C. peanuts or chopped walnuts (I use 1 1/2 C. peanuts)
Bring to a boil:
– 1 C. honey or brown sugar (use 3/4 C. oil of you use brown sugar)
– 1/2 C oil
– 1 T cinnamon
Pour honey mixture over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread on 2 greased cookie sheets (with sides). Bake about 30 minutes, stirring often. Watch closely at the last, not allowing granola to become too dark. Allow to cool undisturbed, then break into chunks.